The ‘Let’s talk about changes to aged care’ campaign aims to encourage people to talk about aged care and the changes starting from July this year.
The changes include:
- More support to stay independent and in your own home and community, with more Home Care Packages to meet your needs.
- Older people will be asked to contribute to the costs of care, if they can afford to do so.
- Greater flexibility over how to pay for your accommodation in an aged care home.
- Transparent accommodation prices and services listed on the My Aged Care website.
- Centrelink will provide income testing for people receiving home care, and both income and asset testing for people receiving residential care.
You can find information about ‘changes to aged care’ and ‘planning for and talking about aged care’.
The sooner we all start talking about aged care and planning it, the better the outcome for older people, their families and carers.
The changes to aged care will give you more choice, more control, and more of the services you might need to help you stay in your own home for longer and remain independent.